Monday, September 30, 2013

Sight Word Bowling



I like to keep things simple. 
Simple = doable. 
You with me? 
So taking this unused toy and turning it into a learning game had to be simple.  But I also wanted to be able to change the words so it could be used over and over again. 

I opted to use small post it notes that I had on hand and stuck them onto the bowling pins with clear tape. By putting 4 words on each pin, we can practice 24 words at a time. Once those have been mastered I can change the post-it notes and write new words. 

How to Play:
1. Write target words onto slips of paper or post-it notes and tape onto bowling pins with clear tape. I put 4 words on each pin so that there is always a word visible when the pin falls down.

2. Set up pins as you normally would for bowling.



3. Let child throw bowling ball to knock pins down.



4. Before picking bowling again (or setting up the pins for the next round), the child must read each word that is visible on the pins that were knocked down. 

5. Repeat as long as child is interested and wants to play.



* You can spice this up by using different things as your bowling ball - sponges, toys.*

No comments:

Post a Comment